Health, Opportunity, and Equity (HOPE) Initiative Data Used to Locate Food Insecure Communities
NCHE has partnered with KIND Snacks (KIND) to support the company’s efforts to address racial inequality and inequity facing Black, Indigenous, People of Color communities across areas of racial justice, education, food & insecurity.
With data for their Health, Opportunity, and Equity (HOPE) Initiative, Feeding America’s 2020 food insecurity projects, and Census Data, NCHE helped guide the allocation of KIND bar donations to food insecure communities across the country. To identify states experiencing the highest levels of food insecurity, NCHE used a combination of HOPE data for state information on food insecurity and Feeding America’s 2020 county projections. With food insecure communities the focus of KIND’s donations, NCHE also used Census data to provide the demographic mapping.
Over 1 million bars have been sent so far to the following communities:
- 200,000 bars Oglala Lakota County, SD community and surrounding area, via Feeding South Dakota
- 200,000 bars Phillips County, AR community and surrounding area, via Arkansas Food Bank
- 200,000 bars Jefferson County, MS community and surrounding area, via Mississippi Food
- 200,000 bars Luna County, NM community and surrounding area, via Road Runner Food Bank
- 200,000 bars East Carroll Parish, LA community and surrounding area, via Northeast Louisiana Food Bank