Congresswoman Barbara Lee to Host Press Call on New Resolution to Address Legacy of Racism and Slavery
Washington, D.C. – Monday, June 1st, Congresswoman Barbara Lee will introduce her new legislation calling for the formation of a Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation Commission to address the legacy of slavery and racism in the United States. The COVID-19 pandemic and recent cases of police brutality and violence have highlighted the continued and growing disparities between communities of color and their white counterparts. If our country is ever going to be a truly fair and equal society, we need to address the wrongs of our past and recognize how they impact our present. Congresswoman Lee and other key leaders on this issue will hold a press call at 12pm ET to discuss the legislation.
• Rep. Barbara Lee (CA-13)
• Rep. Karen Bass, Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus (CA-37)
• Rep. Jim McGovern, Chair of the House Rules Committee (MA-02)
• Rep. Deb Haaland (NM-01)
• Rep. Jesús “Chuy” García (IL-04)
• Rep. Grace Meng (NY-06)
• Wade Henderson, former President of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
• Dr. Gail Christopher, former Senior Advisor and Vice President of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation
• Former Rep. Tom Perriello, Executive Director, Open Society-U.S.
WHAT: Press call discussing efforts to address the legacy of racism in the United States
WHEN: Monday, June 1st at 12pm ET.
WHERE: Zoom – click here to register.
Congresswoman Lee is the Co-Chair of the Steering & Policy Committee, a senior member of the Appropriations Committee, former Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus, Chair Emeritus of the Progressive Caucus, and Co-Chair of the Pro-Choice Caucus. She also serves as Chair of the Majority Leader’s Task Force on Poverty and Opportunity.